Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Star Trekkin
Tonight I saw Star Trek for the second time. That's right. This time it was an IMAX showing. I have to say the movie's visuals definitely justify the $17 price of admission. While I love this movie and could spend pages talking about how beautiful it was, how this is the sort of treatment retro/classic/older properties should be given when brought into the light of the 21st century. However, I would like to take a few moments to briefly talk about a few things that bug me about the movie. They are:
1: Why the fuck was the Romulan mining ship that big, and why was it so heavily armed?
2: Why didn't Nero, upon learning that he had arrived in the "past", seize the opportunity to rush home and say "hey our planet will be engulfed by the sun in 100 years lets bail now!"
3: This is supposed to be the future, how the hell did they (the Romulans) not see this one (the sun going super nova) coming?
4: Is it really feasible that you can just go around creating black holes willy-nilly and not have all kinds of unexpected consequences popping up?
5: How the fuck could anyone see anything in the future what with all the damn lens flares everywhere? I mean seriously it was like every few seconds you got blinded by one computer display or another. No wonder La Forge needed those damn visors.
6: How was it that a gigantic ship was able to enter Earth's atmosphere, launch an enormous drill, begin drilling to the Earth's core right next to the fucking Golden Gate bridge and we don't see so much as a single anti-murderous-alien missile go up? I mean do we have no planetary defenses in the future?
Ok that's about it. Only six real complaints and honestly not one of them really detracted from my enjoyment of the movie. The acting was so spot on it was ridiculous. These people not only knew what they were doing but they breathed new life into classic and iconic roles. Not an easy task I would imagine. So bravo to the actors. The Oscars should have an award for Best Actor Reprising An Older Role No One Thought Should Be Reprised And Doing It Well. Maybe that's more in line with the MTV Movie Awards. Whatever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Putting my thoughts of Star Trek up today as well, I think we have a lot of similiar findings. Good to see you writing again....
Post a Comment