Saturday, May 16, 2009

Overwhelmed

I've been noticing myself getting overwhelmed lately with just how much information there is out there. What with Facebook, Twitter, instant messaging, texting, regular phone calls, mail, hanging out with people in person (who does that anymore), news sites, Reddit, Digg, BoingBoing, Drudgereport, satire and comedy sites, SomethingAwful, Cracked, CollegeHumor, to ironic and self deprecating sites, TextsFromLastNight, OverheardInNewYork, and let us not forget blogs, Blogger, LiveJournal, WordPress, or any number of self published blogs it's a lot to keep track of. I mean I'm constantly finding myself updating my twitter, flickr, facebook and blog all the while trying to read an article on Digg, get caught up with Lost, talking to one friend on Facebook, another two on gchat AND I've got my Mom on the phone asking me for help with her Mac. It's no wonder I feel like I can't keep hold of anything for more than two seconds I'm doing thirty things at once!

It kind of reminds me of that scene in Johnny Mnemonic where the chick (who was also in Starship Troopers and showed her boobs {hot!}) starts freaking out and Henry Rollins starts explaining that she's freaking out from an information overload. I'm wondering if we're going to see information sickness sometime in the near future. I was watching this thing on YouTube recently that talked about how we're living in exponential times. How we learn more in a year than people used to learn in their entire lives... Freaky shit man.

Anyways, I'm going to try to cut back in the near future. Just focus on my own shit and not read every article, watch every video, read every column and try not to feel too guilty for not reading everyone's blogs all the time and commenting on them all the time. Please don't think I'm ignoring you, I just don't want my head to explode. That's a terrible way of getting my thoughts out there...



ATNN

1 comment:

Jody said...

Seriously! Thanks for dropping some Einstein knowledge. It's funny this all seems so horribly ironic. Like I'm essentially forcing other people to do what I said I'm going to do less of. I think really it all comes down to being able to discern what is worth you own time. Oh here's another quote in the same vein:

"I DON'T HAVE A FUCKING TWITTER... WHY WOULD I USE TWITTER??? I ONLY BLOG 5 PERCENT OF WHAT I'M UP TO IN THE FIRST PLACE. I'M ACTUALLY SLOW DELIVERING CONTENT BECAUSE I'M TOO BUSY ACTUALLY BUSY BEING CREATIVE MOST OF THE TIME AND IF I'M NOT AND I'M JUST LAYING ON A BEACH I WOULDN'T TELL THE WORLD."

-Kanye West