I've only got 7 minutes so I'd better make this quick. Living in Japan as a foreigner who isn't well versed in the local language, your job options are rather limited. Most people coming to Japan need two things, a reliable paycheck and a visa. One sure-fire way to get those things without speaking Japanese is to become an English teacher. Now you may be asking yourself, "How can you teach English if you can't speak Japanese. Don't you need to be able to communicate?" That's a great question.
Anyways, I don't have time for good questions. So we'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, I'm not thrilled with my current employment but realize that I shouldn't complain because I do make some money, about enough to pay rent.
Last night I performed at the Hobgoblin in Shibuya to a rather packed audience. I was a bit nervous about going up because yet again I wasn't 100% set on what I was going to say. Also, there was a table of drunk Canadians and Newfoundlanders right by the mic and they were making a lot of "witty" comments to the MC and some of the other comics. But I went up and it was great. I got some good laughs and I felt really comfortable up on stage. It's funny I get so nervous about an hour before I go on but once I'm out on stage I feel so at home. But the more I perform the more I find the old adage to be true: You're only as funny as your last set.
I've got a couple of weeks before my next time behind a microphone, let's hope I can bring the funny again.
Friday, August 19, 2011
Work Woes and Comedy Shows
Labels:
2011,
Comedy,
Comic,
English Teacher,
Hobgoblin,
Japan,
Occupation,
Performance,
Shibuya
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment