Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Why I Don't Go To Starbucks

For the last 6 days I've been in San Diego staying with my friend Sat. I live a charmed enough life that I was so blessed and able to attend all four days of the San Diego Comic-Con. I will write about that in another post as it does not concern what I wish to talk about today.

Today I dropped Sat off at the bus stop as she was running quite late for work. We had some drinks last night and the alcohol consumed required a little extra sleeping in order to properly work itself out of our systems. After dropping Sat off I noticed a particular growling coming from the region of my stomach. It was nothing so bad but I knew that if it went unanswered the growling would grow into a grumbling and that's just a slippery slope.

As I was about to make a u-turn and head back to Sat's apartment I noticed a Starbucks and thought it might be a good place to grab a quick bite to eat. I'm standing in line trying to decide what to get and I figure I'll just keep it simple and get a hot tea and a sandwich. As I approach the counter a girl asks me "Can I get a drink started for you?" to which I reply "Yes, can I have a large white hot tea?". I say "large" because I refuse to use whatever broken terminology they've decided to use in place of the widely accepted "small, medium, and large". Well she looks at me and says "So a tall mocca frappichino?" now I'm thinking "What? Where the hell did that come from?" and I say to her "No I just want a hot tea... white" and she gets confused and says "ok iced tea, what flavor?" exasperated I say "NO a hot tea", "Ok, what flavor? Raspberry, green, black, earl grey..." "White, I want white!" "...herbal red, white. Oh white?" "Yes, a large white hot tea." "One bag or two?" "Two please" and then she finally turned around and made it. I think they're just so used to making all kinds of froofy shit that when someone orders something simple they get confused.

Anyways, it wasn't a horrible experience. I didn't get yelled at nor was my tea bad it's just the Starbucks mentality that I can't stand to deal with. Like why the hell can't they just say "small, medium, or large"? Do they think that their usage of weird Italian lingo justifies the high cost of their coffee? I dunno, but I'm going to stick with going to local shops so long as I can help it. And you should too!

No comments: